Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Boys will be Boys

My little nephew's birthday is coming up so I wanted to make him a boy card. I never have enough boy cards around.... tons of pretty cards with flowers and ribbon, but no good boy cards just laying around. I have also begged Nicole Heady from Papertrey Ink stamps to come up with an awesome boy/male set for either big boys or little boys... it wouldn't matter, it is just necessary. If you haven't checked out her stamps yet, you HAVE TO!!
Back to my project for the night. I decided to use this little boy which is part of this stamp from me and my BIG ideas. As you can see, I just wanted to use one of the boys! I like to try to make my stamps as versitile as possible, so finding ways to use only a portion of a stamp is something I love to do!!
One of my goals for this card was to make my own background paper. I started out using one of the circles from the Fun With Shapes (SU) set even though it comes in a row of three circles. I just carefully inked up the end circle with the edge of the River Rock ink pad and stamped it over and over to get the circles on the background. Then, using the "boy" set from studio g (you know, those clear stamps you can find at Michael's) I cut off the little car (from the bigger stamp of a car, boat, and airplane) and stamped it in the middle of each circle using black ink. This was all done on a sheet of River Rock cardstock. Voila, background paper for my card. And, perfect for a little boy!
Next, I decided to go with Roxie's Sketch Challenge for this week SC #146 as it was going to work well with the stamped image of my little boy!! I added some Always Artichoke and see that strip of green across the middle, it was just a piece of scrap designer paper that I had left over from a scrapbook page done over a year ago. Unfortunately, that means I have no idea what company it is from, but it is a shade darker than the River Rock color and pulls it and the artichoke together perfectly!!
You'll notice that the little boy is wearing jean shorts and a light blue t-shirt. Well, they are pieced from scrap paper as well! Doing that is just so much fun!!
Well, I hope you enjoyed this project for tonight. Maybe you might try one of these elements... make your own background paper, use only part of a stamp, or doing some paper piecing. If you do, please share a link with me...I'd love to see your projects!!
Have a wonderful stamping night.

1 comment:

Kelly L said...

Oooh, cool background. I love to stamp my own bg's, besides those huge bg stamps are too darn expensive. :) Thanks for sharing with us!