Monday, October 29, 2007

Cracked Glass

Wow, I finally got a chance to do a "cracked glass" card. I have tried it only once before and when I did, I only tried out a very small sample, not even big enought to actually use it for a card or anything.
So, this morning, I saw that Beth's Try a New Technique challenge was to do the cracked glass technique. There is, of course, a great tutorial on SCS that you can find HERE if you are interested in giving it a try!!
I began this card this morning by stamping this awesome snowflake that I have from Inkadinkadoo in Buckaroo Blue (last years "in" colors that is out now!). Using my 2-way glue and a Q-tip, I added some dazzling diamonds to these big snowflakes. I then took the tiny snowflakes from the Snowflake set (SU) and using Soft Sky (this year "in" color, which I love!) and filled in all around the bigger snowflakes. I cut the piece to the size I wanted and then covered it with Versamark and then clear embossing powder. I repeated that a number of times (note: using extra thick embossing powder is best but it can be done with just regular embossing powder as I've done here). Once I thought the layer of "glass" was think enough I put it in the freezer for a few minutes and tried to see if it would crack...and it did. Then I had to go to work (shucks!!)
When I got home and took care of my 2 sick boys (my son and husband that is), I got to work finishing up the card. The piece cracked even better tonight as you can see in this picture.
I used a Soft Sky blue card and stamped the circles from the Delight in Life set (SU) also in Soft Sky for a gentle "falling snow" effect for the background. I softened the edges by sponging some Soft Sky with a makeup sponge. Next, I cut a piece of Buckaroo Blue to go across the bottom of the card. I stamped the sentiment in Buckaroo Blue on the right side of the strip. To finish off the card, I matted my cracked glass on some Buckaroo Blue and then on white and placed it ont he right side of the card. I really like how the soft sky snowflakes seem to intermingle with the cracks and the bigger snowflakes!! Beth picked the perfect technique for this time of year.. this looks great with snowflakes. I will bet there are a bunch of snowflake cards in the gallery this week!!
Feel free to leave a comment linking either a cracked glass or a card that has snowflakes on it!! I'd love to see your creation too!
Thanks for visiting.

No comments: