Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Paper Piecing

Welcome Back!!
At the Innisfail Indulgence get together in July, Adalee's shoebox card was a paper pieced daffodil!! It was so beautiful and really got me interested in using this technique in card making. So, tonight I decided to give it a try. The snail is copied onto white paper, cut out and then traced onto the patterned paper. Then cut out, again ( you have to really like cutting to do paper piecing). Then, I used my black pen to draw the details onto the card.
I decided that I could use this cute little guy as a baby card for a co-worker as her shower is tomorrow. I also knew I could use Roxie's awesome Sketch Challenge 145 to bring it all together. Wow, I love it when everything just works!
The designer paper here is 2 sided paper from chatterbox called Winter Tweed. The green color in the tweed matched the new SU color River Rock perfectly so I used some of that cardstock to back the snail and also River Rock ink to stamp on some of the flower from Petal Prints. River Rock is one of those colors that really grows on you. If you were like me and though "ick, what a horrible color" I urge you to keep giving it a try, it really works with lots of other colors. Although you can't see it in this pictue, the blue along the right hand side is trimmed with my scallop scissors on the inner edge so when you open the card you see it. A trick I have finally discovered when using scallop scissors is to draw a pencil line on the back side of your paper and use it as a guide while cutting -- voila, perfectly straight scallops every time! I finished off the bottom of the card with two words from the Fancy Flexible Phrases set. What a versatile set -- if you bought it before it was retired and haven't cut it yet... YOU SHOULD ... Geri!!
Talking about retired sets, I must confess, I do not currently own many stamps from the new SU cataloge. You see, I am really a hobby stamper and I love my stamps. So, I will continue to use old stamps. I will add newer stamps now and then from Stampin' Up and I also use lots of other company stamps too! I hope that is okay with you.
Well, another fun night of card making. I hope my co-worker likes this little snail. Off to get some sleep.

No comments: