Monday, November 12, 2007

Japanese Stab Binding Card

I just had to give Beth's Try a New Technique 142 called Japanese Stab Binding. Once I saw it, I knew I'd go with this theme (I know, it is Chinese and the technique is Japanese....) I have had these Chinese Fold Paper - Cuts for a very, very, very long time. I bet I've had them for about 12 years! I bought them in China Town in Calgary because they were so beautiful but I've never found a "use' for them. I knew one would be perfect for this challenge alone with one of the "chinese old coins" that we also picked up in China Town a few years ago. I used a basic black cardstock and punched holes with my anywhere hole punch. Then, followed the instructions to actually do the Japanese Stab Binding. It was a bit harder than I thought it would be....I am going to have to go back and "perfect" this for sure! I left a bit of ribbon on the top of the binding so I could tie a coin. Then, I sprayed the back of this very intricate cut out design and worked, very hard, to get it stuck down flat with no rips, tears, or bumps. It was really tricky as it kept sticking to my fingers and I did end up with a few bumps but I was able to smooth them out! I love this technique!! Go and give it a try!! I can't wait to see your sample in the SCS gallery, or you could leave a link here so we can see :-) Thanks for visiting again tonight.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Donelda!! This is amazing. It's so different from anything I've ever seen. I might have to give it a try, but this kind of precise look just isn't my forte. Gorgeous job! WOW!!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

This is very striking and I love the addition of the coin!!! I enjoyed trying that technique as well -- fun!!! Your card is just wonderful!!! Nice that you carried the oriental theme throughout!!!

Debby Winters said...

This is very beautiful. I love the binding. Definitely have to give it a try! Thanks for showing us!

My Paper World said...

Wow! this looks amazing, Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

I love how you followed the theme all the way through. Great card!