Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Candy Cane boxes

I was checking out Nicole Heady's blog (she's the brains behind Papertrey Ink!!) and her countdown is on to her newest stamp release on the 15th. She does projects each day until the release just to tempt us all!!! I love it.
Well, her last project was this cool Criss Cross Box that she designed based on the criss cross card on SCS.
Well, I LOVED IT!! Is that not just the coolest!! I made a full sized one but then thought it would take a lot of "something" to fill it at that size. Then I saw the Ghirardelli and Russel Strover chocolate squares that I bought and knew I needed to "adjust" the size to fit a few of these!! It was actually much easier than I thought it would be!!
It took me forever to decide on how I wanted to stamp my background. I didn't really want to do snowflakes and I couldn't think of anything I had that was red and/or green and christmassy. Then, I thought about my Faux Ribbon set from Papertrey Ink and knew I could do a candy cane look!! However, I don't have a block large enough to hold the long strips from that set....but have no fear.....I am all about improvising!! I found the largest glass I could
and used it as an acrylic block. It worked perfectly!!!
I love the bands on the boxes, especially this one one with the scalloped edge inked in green and those tiny holly - they are one of the tiny stamps from the borders & corners {oval} and then I used Crystal Effects to glue some small red glass beads.
These are gifts for my son's teachers. I hope one of them does not decide to check out my blog or she is going to see it before she gets it!!
For my box, you need to score across the bottom 2 1/2", 1/2", 2 1/2", 1/2"and 2 1/2" Along the vertical you need to have 3 1/2" at the top, then 1/2" and 2 1/2" at the bottom. Basically, you just follow Nicole Heady's template with the folding and cutting but just make the score lines at the places I've indicated here. I tried to draw a template but I can't figure out how to upload it!! Hehehe.
I'd love to see your criss cross box!! Please leave a comment with a link to yours!!
Thanks for visiting.

7 comments:

Jan Hunnicutt said...

I like the way you think! A glass for a stamping block, you're too much! I must admit I've used odd things too for my XLG acrylic stamps... a cutting pad for my Zip 'e Mate, a plastic CD case...

I visited Nichole's blog this a.m. too and loved the box she made and was excited to see you'd made one too. Cool! Your SBS4 friend~

Chris (catt871) said...

When are you finding time to make all these amazing projects??? Good Lord girl....you are awesome!!!! :)

Sheila said...

WOW.....these look fantastic.

Linda said...

The nice thing about putting your stamps on EZ Mount is you CAN use just about anything that fits. Thanks for the link to the great site. Now I have another excuse to sit at my computer. YIPPEE!

Tracey said...

these look great Donelda and what a fantstic idea I may even try to make one, thanks for the link and the inspiration :0)

Ying Pang, said...

You creations is beautiful, love it !

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Adorable project - you have so many great things here -- where have I been??????