Friday, March 7, 2008

Color Challenge with some interesting colors

I don't usually do the color challenges on Splitcoaststampers since I rarely have all that is required (I still don't own the pastel colors - yuck - I just don't like pastels!!). However, I am trying to be more "flexible" these days!
The color challenge for Feb. 19th was Orchid Opulance, Pumpkin Pie, and Certainly Celery. I read that and thought - yuck!! But again, I am trying to break out of my "regular" creative box so I decided to give it a go!!
I pulled out my Green Thumb set from Papertrey Ink. I love the grasshopper in the set but I've only used it a few times. Shame on me. So I decided to make him my focal image. I then got a bright idea that if he were sitting on a flower stem, it would probably curve down. One of the great things about using acrylic stamps is that you can stick them onto the acrylic block in different ways so I took the longest stem from this set and bent it when placing it on the block and then stamped it coming out of the rubber boot. Just enough bend for my little grasshopper to sit comfortably!! I stamped him twice and cut him out and popped him up a little. I generally feel like the regular dimensionals are too high so I usually glue 3 layers of cardstock and use it intead, just the right height!!
In the end, I kinda like this card -- love the images and layout, not so keen on the colors but they are growing on me ( a little ).
Supplies: Cardstock-Whisper White, Orchid Opulance, (Stampin' Up), green designer paper as close to certainly celery as I had (unknown); Stamps-Green Thumb and Paper Tray (Papertrey Ink); Ink-Pumpkin Pie, Certainly Celery, Orchip Opulance, Basic Black (all Stampin' Up!); Accessories-green satin ribbon (Michaels 1.50 bin), black marker (Zig).
Thanks for visiting,
Donelda

12 comments:

Kelly L said...

You made this color combo look terrific. I wasn't too sure about those colors together either, but you did GOOD! LOL :) Kel

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loathe orchid opulence but love your card, lol! I'm gonna have to case it--and just change the colors! Your little grasshopper all popped up is adorabe.

Pam Speidel said...

This is one of the best cards I've seen with the Green Thumb set! I love how you cuved the flower stem and layered the hopper. OUTSTANDING!

Smiles, Pam :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice card! I love how it turned out.

AmethystCat said...

cute, cute! that's a tough color combo but you made it work!

Pat S. said...

I think your card is just adorable! I know...that is one of those "pastel" words...but I think you made the pastels POP!
Love how you thought to make the stem bend for the grasshopper...very clever :)

Chris (catt871) said...

I LOVE your card!!! There aren't too many colours I hate, so I'm pretty easy to please!!!! LOL Your grasshopper is too cute popped out like that!!!!

K said...

This is awesome! I love what you did with the PTI stamps. How creative!

KellyS said...

Wow! When I hear that color combo I think YUCK! But your card is beautiful! I am not a fan of O. Opulance or P. Pie at all. I might have to try and get out of my creative box too and mix it up a bit!

Suzanne @ Day to Day said...

Very cute idea with the grasshopper. Nice job with this one.

Jane said...

Wow, these colors look gorgeous together! Love how you popped up the grasshopper. Great card all the way around.

Jane
SBS4

Marjorie said...

This card is so cute!! I love these colors and how you put the little grasshopper on the flower stem! Adorable!