Thursday, May 8, 2008

Grungeboard Bird

One of my local stamping stores brought in some Grungeboard at my request (how kind of her!!). Although I had hoped it would be the Elements (shapes) but she brought in the solid 5 x 7" sheets. That means I need to find some way to create shapes myself. Well, I don't own any die-cutting system (yet!) so I borrowed my friend's Sizzix machine (Thanks Geri!!). It wouldn't cut the Grungeboard with the smaller dies (I didn't want to break her machine) but the medium and larger ones would work. I found this cute little bird and cut a few of him out.



I decided to go "Tim Holtz" (since I was using grungeboard) and pulled out my Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads. I used my Broken China (the blue) and Walnut Stain (the brown). I couldn't really remember what a blue bird looked like so I looked on the internet. I used this as a guide and sponged the blue onto his head, wing, and tail. Then I added some white pigment ink to the bottom of his belly, a bit of the brown to his chest, and finally, a bit of barely banana on his beak.


To celebrate the fun of using my new Grungeboard, I also pulled out my pack of Periphery Collection Pack (bought it last year...been hoarding it ever since) and acutally cut into it! I used a bit of the Cabernet paper.


One of the line images from my new Wedding Day set (PTI by Alli Miles) from Papertrey Ink really matched the brown design on the cabernet paper. So I used it on a piece of white paper and then added one other little stamp along two corners from the Borders & Corners {square} (PTI) set. I had stamped it in the same Broken China ink, but the white didn't quite match the cabernet paper, so I decided to sponge over the stamping with the Broken China ink. The result was very interesting. I matted the Cabernet piece with it.

I used the branch from Out on a Limb (PTI) using the Walnut Stain ink. Then I adheared the bird as though he were sitting or landing on the branch. I added a sentiment from Mixed Messages (PTI) in the Walnut Stain ink. I put all of this on a piece of Bazzill brown cardstock (not sure what brown it is but it matched the walnut stain quite will).

If you haven't played with Grungeboard yet, it is lots of fun. It is a bit thinner than chipboard and very flexible. As Tim says, you can do just about anything to it. I am going to go play a little more and see what else I can do with it!!

Thanks for visiting! Donelda

9 comments:

Deanna said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Love the card. What is the name of the bird die cut? I have a Cuttlebug and a Sidekick.

Unknown said...

JUST BEAUTIFUL,I AM STILL ADDICTED TO GRUNGBOARD,I DONT HAVE A CUTTLEBUG EITHER SO I HAD TO BUY THE ELEMENT SHAPES.I LOVE GETTING ALL INKY WHEN IM PLAYING WITH IT.

Chris (catt871) said...

LOVE THIS!!! I need to get some grungeboard!!!! Off to search the internet!!!! Or do you think Rose still has some????

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Love it Donelda, gorgeous

Deb said...

wow, absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! Great job on the shadind and coloring.

Sparkle

Charlene Austin said...

OH MY!! This is gorgeous. I LOVE that bird. Your sponging is perfection!

Erin Bigler said...

So pretty...awesome job on the blue bird. Love the whole look!