Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June Blog Hop with Papertrey Ink!

Yeah, it is Blog Hop time again!! This is such a fun event where Nichole from Papertrey Ink gives us a challenge. Then we all upload them on our blog or PTI gallery and spend the evening getting inspiration from everyone!! It is so much fun.


This month, the challenge was to use acetate or transparencies in our creations!



I had so much fun creating this trio of cards. I let Heather (pine is here) inspire me this time. Not only did I use her favorite cardstock color (Kraft) but I used paint on my stamps. Here's the story.....


You see, I bought the Aqua Mist twill tape because it looked so yummy but the ink was out of stock....so, I had this awesome twill but nothing to "match" it colorwise. But I decided not to let that stop me. I pulled out my acrylic paints and started experimenting to see if I could come up with a color to match my twill. And I did!! I used a lot of white, a little green (that I bought to match SU! Mellow Moss) and a small little bit of a royal blue color. Voila, Aqua Mist paint! You can check out Heather's blog HERE for a great demo on using paint and your stamps.


I love the end results! I love the color combination! Where is the acetate??? Well, that little butterfly on the front left is acetate. On the front right card, the leaf is stamped on acetate with Versamark and then embossed with white embossing powder. Then I painted my Aqua Mist paint on the back and attached it to the card with dimensionals. Although I was going to trim the painted part to be straight, I really liked the "loose feel" that the uneven painted edges gave the card, so I left it. The card in the back has the most acetate. I stamped the butterfly on acetate using StazOn Jet Black. Then, when it was dry, I turned it over and painted my Aqua Mist paint onto the back. I even made a darker tint to paint onto the back wings (looks great in real life, you probably can't really tell in the photos). Then, I cut it out and set it aside. Next, I stamped the flowers onto another sheet of acetate. I attached this sheet to my Kraft cardstock using some eyelets which I had in my stash that are almost a perfect match to the Aqua Mist color as well. Then, I attached the butterfly to the flower acetate layer by using dimensionals. Here is a close-up!


Here are the 3 cards individually so you can see some of the other details. Yes, I used the same home-made Aqua Mist paint on my Polka Dot stamps for some of the backgrounds and also the leaf stamp from Beautiful Blooms (I love that leaf stamp!!).




Well, I hope that my cards inspire you some. I am off to check out all the other blogs and get more great inspiration!!

Supplies: Cardstock-Kraft, Basic Black, Whisper White (all SU!); Stamps-large butterfly (All Night Media), small butterfly (Rubber Stampede), Beautiful Blooms, Polka Dot Basics, Green Thumb, Text Boxed, Simple Little Things (all Papertrey Ink!); Ink - Versamark, Basic Black (SU!); Other- Aqua Mist Twill (Papertrey Ink), acetate (unknown), white embossing powder, acrylic paint, sponge brush, eyelets (unknown).

Thanks for visiting.
Donelda

27 comments:

Alyssa S said...

Wow! This is incredible! I especially like your acetate butterfly :o)

IamDerby said...

Gorgeous!!!! Why didnt my acetate look like that?? lol

K said...

These cards are just beautiful. I love the combinations and the butterfly is great.

Lesly said...

I love your cards. I actually made an acetate butterfly but couldn't make it look right on anything. Thank you for your inspiration.

Kelly L said...

Wow, these all look so elegant. Great idea with the mixture of paints, and I love the acetate butterfly, too. Terrific ideas, Donelda. Thanks for the link to Heather's blog too. I am very interested and inspired. Oooh, now to find those butterfly stamps and polka dot papers. I like these a LOT!

Unknown said...

Wow - these are fab - I'm gonna have to try something similar

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!! Great job. Heather (HMJ)

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful cards. I love the color combo and am totally impressed with your creativity with the faux "Aqua Mist" acrylic paint. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS!!! I LOVE your cards!!

Kevin Renz said...

Gorgeous set of cards. Everything works really well together.

Niki Estes said...

Very pretty, Donelda! I love your painting on the stamps and the acetate butterflies!

Janette said...

these are terrific! great idea about the aqua mist paint- can't wait till the ink comes back though.

One Creative Life said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! This is so gorgeous Donelda!!!!! I love how you didnt let the lack of matching ink stop you.Thanks for sharing!~erica

Anonymous said...

Very classy cards....I love these!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

WOW! Gorgeous!

Allison Cope said...

Just simply stunning Donelda! Gorgeous... all three! I just love that leaf stamp... gotta get me that stamp! Great job on the challenge!

Jenn said...

They're just gorgeous, Donelda!

Kimberly Crawford said...

WOW! These are beyond fantastic-truly gorgeously stunningly amazing!!!!!!! :)

Terri said...

I think you did a great job on all of them. I especially like what you did with the butterflies. That is cool you had the idea to make a pillow box too. :)

Kathleen said...

This is really amazing! I love it all!

Charlene Austin said...

OH MY!! These are so beautiful. Yay, you!!

ohradiogirl said...

Just all around nice. Good colors.

Lynn Mercurio said...

Stunning, absolutely stunning. Well done!

Chris (catt871) said...

VERY pretty, my friend!! Great job!!!

Unknown said...

DONELDA, YOUR NEW CARD SET LOOKS AMAZING.

Deanna said...

Wow these are fantastic! Love your work girl!

AmethystCat said...

wow, wow, wow! amazing work, Donelda! Love the way you did the butterfly. gorgeous!