Friday, July 25, 2008

Papertrey Ink July Blog Hop - Use Vellum












Yeah, another Blog Hop with Papertrey Ink!! I love these evenings as we hop around from blog to blog getting all kinds of ideas from fellow Papertrey Ink addicts like myself!!

This month's challenge was to use vellum. Nichole has requested that in particular that she would have liked us to use the NEW LINEN VELLUM that Papertrey Ink will be carrying but, even if I had ordered it, it would have never gotten here on time so I used regular vellum on my project. But did you see that linen vellum...it is going to be a total HIT!!

Actually, I had so many ideas swirling around in my head that I had a hard time deciding what to do. But I opted for these cool butterfly wings!! I had originally thought of doing this project with transparency but love the look with vellum!!

I used an image from Microsoft clipart and printed it out on paper. I cut that out and traced it onto some light cardstock. Cut that out and inked it all up with lots of black ink!! You should have seen my fingers after that was done :-) LOL. Next, I used some markers to randomly ink up the one flower from the Green Thumb stamp set - you know, that flower that looks like a hollyhock or something tall !! I love that stamp for many purposes including the focal image but it also makes a great background too!! I used the "huff" and made the multicolored dots and spots on some vellum. Once that was dry, I cut it out and attached it to the back of the butterfly! Wow, what great color!!
The rest of the card is pretty straight forward. I am so into Clean and Simple these days!! I finally cut into my Two Scoops paper by Basic Grey. In fact, I cut 2 different sheets before deciding on this delicious version! What can I say, it was perfect. A little ribbon to off-set the heaviness of the butterfly...and voila, my vellum project is complete.



Now, off to see what everyone else did!!
Supplies: Ink-Basic Black (Stampin' Up), Markers in Garden Green, Pumpkin Pie, Ruby Red, Not Quite Navy, Summer Sun, and Cameo Coral (all Stampin' Up); Stamps-Green Thumb, Out On A Limb (both Papertrey Ink); Paper - Two Scoops paper Sprinkles and Very Berry Sundae (Basic Grey), Whisper White as card base (Stampin' Up!); Other - Vellum, Light Cardstock, Coluzzle, Black Ribbon (Stampin' Up), Dimensionals.

Edited at the last minute to add: Well, I just couldn't stop playing with Vellum this week!! So here is another card. For this card, I was so jealous that I was unable to purchase some of the new linen vellum from PTI that I decided to see if I could make some "faux linen vellum". I stamped my linen background onto the vellum using River Rock ink. If I did this again, I would probably use Creamy Caramel or maybe even Close to Cocoa. You can't really see the Linen too well but it might be better if you click on the image to see a larger picture. Next, I stamped my leaves and flowers. I cut a window in the white card base and then again in a Purely Pomegranate card front. I did some scoring around the opening I created for some definition - love that!! I stamped one of the beautiful verses from Out On a Limb inside, but you can see is through the vellum. Then I added some hemp and a small tag on the front to finish off the card. This was a "fiddly" card to make but I do like the end results!!

Supplies: Stamps-Text Boxed, Beautiful Blooms, Mixed Messages, Out on a Limb (all Papertrey Ink), Linen (Stampin' Up!); Paper-Whisper White, Purely Pomegranate, Wild Wasabi (all Stampin Up!); Ink-River Rock, Purely Pomegranate, Wild Wasabi, Basic Black (all Stampin' Up!); Other-vellum, hemp (SU!), hobby knife, home-made rectangle template, cutting tool (Fiskars), scraper used to score (Pampered Chef LOL), Cuttlebug and tag die.

Thanks for visiting!! See you again soon.
Donelda

37 comments:

Kevin Renz said...

Donelda,
Those are awesome wings. I love how your 2 cards are so different yet use the vellum in such a cool way. I don't have my linen vellum yet either, but can't wait to play.

B said...

Donelda, I love how you're able to use vellum in so many cool ways - thanks for sharing all the great things you've discovered! I love the butterfly! Hotness!

Unknown said...

OOOhh these are soooo good - love them both but the butterfly...AAhh,

Molly B said...

Great cards. Love the way you did the butterfly. -Molly B

Unknown said...

This is an awesome butterfly, great job on your card!

Lori said...

Fantastic projects! What a creative way to make your own linen vellum, too.

K said...

Wow is all that I can say! I love the cards. The butterfly is amazing and the vellum on the second card just looks incredible.

Regan said...

great stuff! love the butterfly!

Janette said...

so pretty and unique! the butterfly card- love the papers and how they coordinate and the love the bold colors of the secong.

Kacey Elliott said...

Doneldam that butterfly is fabulous!!! I love the whole layout! I would never have thought of using that stamp with markers - pure genious :-) And your "faux linen" vellum - OMG - you rock!

Kacey Elliott said...

So sorry - I know your name is Donelda - totally a typo! I hate my new keyboard :-( it has those soft keys and I just can't get used to it... plus your cards got me so excited - he-he!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the butterfly is GORGEOUS! I love all your cards but that butterfly just stands out!

Latisha said...

both are fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Well that last card does look like the linen vellum. What a great idea! Pretty Cards.

Unknown said...

Beautiful cards!! I am totally in love with your butterfly card!

Marie Cramp said...

lovely projects.

Marie
http://scrappingworld.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

That butterfly card is amazing, wow, beautiful. Donelda what an effort!

:) Marcia
SBS4

Niki Estes said...

Very pretty! I love the sentiment behind the velum window!

Unknown said...

Both projects are fabulous.

Bonnie said...

These are gorgeous! The black is so striking against that Two Scoops (which I love and refuse to use because then it will be gone!)

Annapurna said...

Great cards. Hard to picture isn't it?

Scrapping Julie said...

Shut up! these are GREAT!!

Maria Matter said...

Oh, Donelda, this is wonderful!!! I love your butterfly and her beautiful wings!!! Both cards are lovely!!!

Debbie Olson said...

Wow! Both are beautiful! I love the butterfly, but the flowers are also a great use of vellum!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

WHat gorgeous projects! Love them! That butterfly is just beautiful!

Diane said...

You are one creative lady! TFS

Terri said...

Nice job on both of them. The butterful is really cool. I like how you made your own linen vellum too. Thanks for the wonderful comment you left on my blog as well. It really meant a lot to me.

Chris said...

they are very pretty!!

Marge said...

Love that butterfly & how it matches your paper -- genius!!!

Tamara said...

What a great way to create your own linen velum. Great cards.

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW that butterfly is amazing!

Traveling Mama said...

Both cards are just beautiful! I'm with you too with the jealousy... It takes forever to get stuff to Morocco!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous cards, Donelda! The butterfly is my favorite just because I love all things butterflies.Both cards are great examples of the fun you can have with vellum! I'll definitely try this technique, but I don't have any of the amazing PTI vellum yet, either.

Anonymous said...

Your vellum cards are gorgeous! I clicked to see your vellum stamped with linen. It did turn out well.
Gotta go find my vellum...

ohradiogirl said...

Very nice cards! TFS!

AmethystCat said...

great!

One Creative Life said...

Wow Donelda your cards are amazing!! Great Job!-Erica